Monday, April 8, 2013

Quoting the Author to the Author





Years ago, I used to dream about someone walking up to me and saying, "Wow, you're that writer that did this and that article," etc., etc.

That hardly ever happened, back when my ego really would've gotten a ton of mileage out of it.

Today, while judging a public speaking contest, I was surprised to see an Idaho Magazine article of mine ("She Speaks Horse", about the EhCapa Bareback Riders and EhCapa Queen, Ecko Laursen) on the display poster, and then hear the speaker reference the article multiple times, explaining the impact it had made on her, and how she was going to get extremely involved in a group from reading all about them in the magazine. I tried to keep my face blank, but it was unexpected, and even a little awkward, and I'm not sure how successful I was at that.

Wanting to lay low and not say anything, it was obvious the speaker had no idea who I was (the judges' identities are kept private until after the award ceremony). However, my fellow judge outed me right after the presentation ended. The poor teenager went beet red, having no inkling she was quoting the author to...the author.

A semi-surreal experience for both of us, no doubt, and not as awesome as I thought it would be as a former inexperienced, hopeful writer. That ego stuff can only take you so far, and is pretty fleeting.

Life's timing is funny sometimes.


*For more random thoughts and writings, follow me on Twitter
or Facebook .

No comments:

Post a Comment