Monday, December 17, 2012

With You All the Way


On the early morning of a sleepless night, two spirits had a talk
“Please remember I love you, remember you were wanted, no matter what happens next.
Today is the day that I give you away, though the last thing I’ve wanted to do.
Everyone’s saying that this is so right, that adoption is best for you.

But I’m your mother, God gave you to me, and it’s so hard to step away.
How will you know how very much I care?

Whether with me or not,
Near me or not,
I’ll be with you all the way.”


A young man threw on his backpack, preparing for a long trek.
His mom said her goodbyes with tears in her eyes, and hoped he’d take one more look back.
“Today is the day that I give you away, though the last thing I’ve wanted to do.
Everyone’s saying that this is so right, that leaving is best for you.

But I’m your mother, God gave you to me, and it’s so hard to step away.
How will you know how very much I care?

Whether with me or not,
Near me or not,
I’ll be with you all the way.”


Another child didn’t know what to do, torn from the very start.
Awkward to have both present this day, this is where divorce leaves its mark
‘Don’t come, Mom,’ he said, ‘I want this for Dad,’ with words leaving her in the dark.

She struggled and cried, just empty inside, hadn’t she been a good mom?
In quieter moments, she reached out for help, for comfort in the early dawn.

A hand reached back, marked and scarred, yet tender and warm to the touch.

“I’ve been hoping for you to come to this place, I’ve been wondering when you’d feel this much. 
Many moments I have yearned to be part of your life every day.
You wouldn’t, you couldn’t, let me into your heart…
But I’m your brother, God gave you to me, and it’s so hard to step away

How will you know how very much I care?

Whether with Me or not,
Near Me or not,
I’m still with you all the way.
I’ll be with you all the way.”

*For more of my thoughts, visit me on Twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment